Libyan Accused of Making Bomb Which Killed 270 People Over Lockerbie, Scotland 34 Years Ago is in US Custody
Thirty-four years ago this month, a bomb destroyed Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland killing 270 people.
Libyan Abdel Baset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the only person convicted of the bombing to date, was jailed for life but was released early in 2009 on compassionate grounds after a terminal prostate cancer diagnosis which doctors claimed left him only three months to live.
The Gateway Pundit reported that Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi was not as ill as described and lived until 2012 in freedom, celebrated as a hero in Libya.
The Obama Administration knew about the release of Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi months before he was freed.
Now, Scottish authorities have now shared that Abu Agila Masud, who the US announced charges against two years ago for playing a key role in the bombing, is in custody.
A Libyan man accused of making the bomb which destroyed Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie 34 years ago is in United States custody, Scottish authorities have said.
The US announced charges against Abu Agila Masud two years ago, alleging he had played a key role in the bombing on 21 December, 1988.
Last month it was reported that Mr Masud had been kidnapped by a militia group in Libya, leading to speculation that he was going to be handed over to the American authorities to stand trial.
A US Justice Department spokesperson told the Reuters news agency that the suspect would make an initial appearance in a federal court in Washington.
Five years ago he was serving a prison sentence in Libya for bomb-making.
A spokesperson for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) said: “The families of those killed in the Lockerbie bombing have been told that the suspect Abu Agila Mohammad Mas’ud Kheir Al-Marimi (“Mas’ud” or “Masoud”) is in US custody.
“Scottish prosecutors and police, working with UK government and US colleagues, will continue to pursue this investigation, with the sole aim of bringing those who acted along with Al Megrahi to justice.”
For my family — for the memory of my father, Michael Bernstein — and for the families of the other 269 people murdered 34 years ago, this is overwhelming news. https://t.co/SRnZ32kU9g
— Joe Bernstein (@Bernstein) December 11, 2022
The post Libyan Accused of Making Bomb Which Killed 270 People Over Lockerbie, Scotland 34 Years Ago is in US Custody appeared first on The Gateway Pundit.